MMP Update #1

MMP Update #1 

Here is what I have done so far in my MMP for my google classroom about coding and scratch. I still have a lot to go.


Be sure to review my updated proposal https://sandidesairutgers.blogspot.com/2018/02/mmp-proposal.html so you know what I'm planning.

  1. Participation: I have looked at a lot of the resources provided in my groups chats. They really gave me great resources to follow when creating my own MMP website. For example, the group that I am participating in that discusses reaching ELL students had some great approaches to teaching writing and reading. I think I need to incorporate in someway the idea of graphic organizers for my younger learners who are ELL to support them during their work with scratch as well as reading. It will be especially helpful during the read aloud videos that students must study first prior to beginning any of the activities.   I found a lot of this information in the http://teachingsuccesseswithells.blogspot.com/  which was linked to the group discussion. I found that the other group gave me some interesting information on what to do for assessment tools which I didn't even consider for my MMP. I think that I need to consider how to implement those into my MMP to assess student understanding of both Scratch and the literacy elements. 
  2. Project Update: My project's big goal was to create an online classroom that utilizes programming to teach students literacy. I think I have a very strong start covering story elements using Scratch. I think I still have a long way to go because I have not really implemented any supports yet for diverse learners. Also, I still need to create more content that focuses heavily on building words or text using coding as a support. I think that for now, I have a good start. 
  3. Connections to Readings: I found that a lot of the elements of what we found in the readings helped me decide on how to present the material to my students. The ADDIE model played a very big role in helping me decide what material to include in supporting my students during the learning. I was able to determine that I needed specific resources that would help my students work with both the literature and the software. I decided to include videos in my design that supported the students in their approach to scratch and the literacy concepts by returning back to my analysis step to ensure I was meeting the objectives I established early on. I found myself going through each of the five steps of the ADDIE model at a smaller scale as I built up the classroom. I also found that the design was an essential component to engaging my students in the material I am presenting. Since this would be a primarily online approach, students need more incentive to remain engaged in the material I am presenting. A lot of the design resources  we read throughout the semester played heavily in my decision to include a brighter color scheme, multimedia videos, and print questions that evaluate student learning. I might change the print questions to include audio so as to ensure students are experiencing text and sound multimedia. I hope to keep expanding this further to tackle more of the literacy elements that I eagerly pursued in my proposal.   
  4. Self-Assessment: I have changed my anticipated timeline a lot. I think that has a lot to do with the complexity of the resources I need to create. I'm still working on the videos and should have them up soon. I also found that I needed to account for parental supports, so I changed my plan a bit. I have added some resources for parents as well as some supports for students for coding. Right now, I have story elements included in the lessons for first grade students. I hope to build more on the first grade lessons and then move into 2nd and 3rd grade. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #1

Blog #4: Mini Art School #2